Thursday, January 15, 2009

Strawberry Fields

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out... Strawberry fields forever." the Beatles

I was crocheting some strawberries. Don't ask me why; I just like to crochet food items like doughnuts etc... Apparently other people do too- you can look online and find tons of crochet patterns for cupcakes- even tarts and petit-fours! Anyway, I was admiring a handful of these little crocheted wonders and started humming Strawberry Fields, which got me thinking about the song, the era it was written, and the culture at the time. "Let me take you down, cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields. Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about..." I was in junior high at the time, and owned a two record set of the Beatles greatest hits and would play it over and over again. It really fed into my lost, adolescent malaise...Okay, enough Penny Lane-oops, I mean memory lane. I'm starting to bore myself... short attention span.

There is an actual point to this. I think we've come full circle. We accept that things are terrible, and not getting any better. The end is nowhere in sight, the news heads take great delight in droning how awful it is, day after day. It's all hopeless. Well guess what? It isn't. You know where I'm going... Not if you know Jesus! News flash: Christians have hope. We have life. We have... drum roll please...JOY!! It's real. I didn't think this up myself- I crochet fruit.

No comments: