Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Getting Patience

Pearl lacks patience. She is a puppy; it's her job to seek out anything and everything she can get into and take apart. She loves yarn, and makes a point of sticking her nose into my purse to see if there's any in there, and is quite triumphant when she nabs a ball of worsted and runs through the house, until I eventually catch her and get it back, somewhat worse for the wear.

When we go on walks she wants to lead the way, full speed ahead. Yesterday we were walking, and Pearl was wearing her "gentle leader" collar that goes around her nose and prevents her from pulling me under a bus. It works this way- every time she wants to pull me and starts in that direction, the collar causes her to look at me, or at least toward me, so, unless she wants to go in circles, she must walk where I walk. This saves not only my arm socket, but gives me great satisfaction, knowing that I am "she who must be obeyed".

Patience is one of those fruits of the Spirit that makes me groan. "How long is THIS going to take?" I wonder. I see what I want and want to head full speed ahead into... what? My own way? I know how well that works, don't I? But here's the good news. Jesus has promised to be my gentle leader when he said, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

When we exhibit the fruit of the Spirit, Jesus is there. Because fruit has to come from a tree. So when we pick a fruit, say... patience... He is there, and he is smiling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that is wonderful...Jesus is my gentle leader!