Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reading Update

I just finished What the Bayou Saw by Patti Lacy. A while back I posted the official publishers info, but I wanted to write some personal comments. In light of all that's happened in Haiti, this book feels even more relevant, because, What the Bayou Saw has an important thread involving the disaster of Hurricane Katrina. Patti Lacy painted a picture of that disaster that helped me to see Katrina from a more personal perspective. Patti has a gift for getting to the nitty gritty heart of the matter and somehow, through it all, infuse light and truth in the fact that "it's never too late to become what you might have been" (to quote someone).
This book had some intense themes-racial prejudice, rape, betrayal and guilt. The characters felt real and somehow hope did spring forth, but not gratuitously or easily. The characters paid a price, but in the end, it was worth it.
Thanks Patti, you have the ability to help readers see through the dark glass a little bit clearer.

2 comments:

Patti Lacy said...

Cheryl, well, I ferreted you out, didn't I?

Technology is scary!!!

Thanks again for taking the time to read my book and repost!!!

Hope to have an announcement soon about #3. In the meantime, China unfolds (Reclaiming Lily)

Blessings to you,
Patti
www.pattilacy.com/blog

Unknown said...

sounds awesome!!

:)