Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Puppy Love

"It's the time of the season for loving..." -The Zombies

Well, we lost Max our border collie in the Spring and the Summer unexpectedly brought Pearl the yellow lab puppy. I wasn't looking for a new dog- losing Max was too painful- but we were invited to have dinner with a former senate colleague, John Schneider and his wife Mary Jo, who happened to be foster puppy parents to an adorable baby Pearl. I knew we were gonners when Mary Jo kept having me take the puppy outside to play with the other dogs- they have four rescued dogs of their own. I was somewhat strong. I put my hand on Pearl's tiny yellow head and prayed that the Lord would give her the right family. Who was I kidding?

Two weeks later Pearl, sometimes referred to as Pearl Jam or Pearl Jam Pie, moved in. Our lives have been turned upside down. I'm up early taking puppy for walks and watching the Animal Planet dog shows the way some people watch Heroes- OK, so I watch Heroes too...

We went as a family to the puppy class at the Humane Society where we adopted our rapidly growing ball of fluff. The training methods have changed a bit since Max and I wish Max were still around to benefit from the new and improved dog mom that I have become. We're not perfect and Pearl's not perfect, but we're doing fine. The Lord answered my prayer for the little Pearl. I believe she's in the right family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE THAT PUPPY!!!!!!!!!